Bathurst Region - Live, Visit, Invest, Study


Distance from Bathurst 18kms south-east Preferred route off Great Western Highway at Kelso into Littlebourne Street to O'Connell Road.


O'Connell was originally named O'Connell Plains by the colonial surveyor George Evans in 1813 but it was not until the late 1820s that the village was established as an important staging post on the main western road from Sydney to Bathurst. One of the first gold discoveries in the area was in the Fish River in 1823 but it was never officially recorded. The historic O'Connell Hotel that still operates today was built in 1865.


A leafy canopy of Desert Ash trees that were planted between 1925 and 1927 to commemorate locals who fought and lost their lives in WW1, marks the entry to O'Connell. Many old buildings still exist along the Oberon - O'Connell Road and in 1974 the village was classified by the National Trust as the O'Connell Urban Conservation Area. It is listed in the register of the National Estate. The banks of the Fish River provide picturesque settings for relaxing with the family or friends and the ancient oak tree in the beer garden of the O'Connell Hotel shelters patrons.

What to Do & See

View the historic buildings dating from the 1820s, dine in the beer garden or beside the fire at the O'Connell Hotel, enjoy a swim at nearby Flat Rock, catch a trout in the Fish River and taste the gourmet delights of the O'Connell Café & Deli. Catch a glimpse of the past with a wander through the historic cemetery.


Hotel, café, picnic spots, attractions, active church, public phone.

Accommodation includes farm stay, B&B, hotel and self contained cabins.

O'Connell was first settled in the early 1820s when the Sydney road passed through the valley. The village has been classified by the National Trust. The historic O'Connell Hotel recently restored and extended, has a beer garden under the shade of its original old oak tree and the river banks provide a beautiful setting for picnics and outings.

O'Connell Village Map