Bathurst Region - Live, Visit, Invest, Study

Sunny Corner

Distance from Bathurst 36 kms east Preferred route 7kms off the Great Western Highway.


Sunny Corner started life as a gold mining town around 1860, and grew dramatically in 1881 with the discovery of the first silver reef in New South Wales. A post office, police station and school were built to cater for the growing population. The town was first named Mitchell in 1885 but renamed Sunny Corner in 1887. Reminders of its history can be seen in the remains of many original buildings that are scattered throughout the area today.


Today Sunny Corner is home to around 170 people from all walks of life including potters, artists and craftspeople who have settled for the quiet country life but have stayed within easy reach of major town facilities. The village is surrounded by pine forests and natural bushland that provide ideal conditions for car rallying and off road driving.

What to Do & See

On the first Sunday of each December a fun day out can be had by all when local artists and residents get together for ‘Sunny Corner Sunday'. The artists open their studios to sell works of art and the residents set up stalls offering local produce and crafts to visitors from all over the region. Take a walk or enjoy a picnic at Mary's Park located on Sunny Corner Road about 5 kms from the Great Western Highway. Enjoy the adventure of bush camping among the pine trees or search for the historic cemetery hidden amongst the trees off the Dark Corner Road.


Fireplaces and picnic spots.
Accommodation includes B&B and camping.
Sunny Corner is surrounded by pine forests. It was once a thriving silver mining town with shops and numerous hotels, but only a few houses remain with mining relics. Now the area attracts many artists who open their studio doors to the public for a weekend in December. Some also have galleries open more frequently.

Sunny Corner Village Map